December 5th, 2018 — Articles, How To
Driving Tips For Winter Weather
Experts are predicting nasty winter weather is quickly approaching the Piedmont Triad area of NC. The forecast for this weekend doesn’t look promising. In fact, some weather people are calling for as much as a foot of snow being dumped sometime in the Winston-Salem, High Point and Kernersville area on Sunday. If that happens, the only ones who will benefit are grocery stores, towing companies and body shops.
Yes, I said body shops. It’s no secret that most people in the South aren’t very good at driving in the snow. In their defense, it’s not their fault. They simply don’t have the same experience as their Northern friends. That’s why it’s important to share a few tips on driving safely in winter weather.
Tips For Driving On Snow & Ice
1) Make sure you can see out of your windshield. This sounds like common sense but like Will Rogers said: “Common sense ain’t so common.” Cleaning the snow and/or ice off of your entire car, including the headlights, is the 1st step but there are others such as making sure you have good windshield wipers and have anti-icing fluid in your windshield washer system.
2) Watch out for “black ice”. Yeah, it’s tough to see it but it’s deadly so driver beware. It’s also called “glare ice” and the name does it justice. Sometimes it looks nearly transparent, other times it simply looks like a puddle of water and sometimes it can’t be seen at all. Snow is much easier to deal with than this.
3) Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Remember your parents or grandparents checking their tire pressure every time they bought gas for their car? Do YOU do that? Didn’t think so. While you should check your tire pressure often, it’s a “must do” when snow and ice are covering the ground.
4) Don’t use cruise control. Why? Because it’s dangerous to do so when driving on any slippery surface.
5) Accelerate and decelerate slowly. Better yet, do everything slower when you’re driving on snow and ice covered roads.
6) Make sure you have gas in your car. At least half a tank is recommended.
7) Make sure you have your cell phone. You also need to have your cell phone car charger with you.
8) Make sure your car battery is fully charged. Frank Myers Auto Repair can help you do this for no charge. Simply give them a call at (336) 831-0656 or visit their website at http://www.FrankMyersAutoRepair.com to schedule a time to drop by.
9) Carry some basic supplies with you. Things like an ice scraper, a shovel, a bag of sand, blankets, bottled water and non-perishable snacks could go a long way if you are ever stuck in your car during winter weather.
10) Stay at home. The basic rule of thumb during bad winter weather especially in the South, is STAY HOME.
Of course, the weather pros are wrong more times than they are right so this information may be for naught. If so, keep it handy because the bad winter weather usually sneaks up on you when you least expect it. Until then, you better get to the grocery store with the rest of the Triad peeps. The milk and bread will be gone soon.
October 12th, 2018 — History of Uncle Frank
It was the late ‘60s – and the Public Broadcasting Corporation was ready to launch a revolutionary new children’s program, Sesame Street. Jim Henson, the master puppet-maker, had created a whole new set of Muppets for the show – but the producers still weren’t satisfied; they felt the characters were either too short (Grover) or too tall (Big Bird. They wanted at least one regular-sized Muppet.
Henson, overworked and out of ideas, was driving through the Winston-Salem area, when he happened to spot a Frank Myers Auto Maxx commercial starring Uncle Frank on his Super 8 Motel TV. He couldn’t believe his eyes – with his colorful outfit and happy smile, this guy looked exactly like a big friendly Muppet!
Uncle Frank agreed to the offer, seeing an opportunity to sell to a whole new demographic. Sadly, once again, Uncle Frank only made it as far as the photo shoot – when he quickly realized no Muppet would ever buy a car from him – none of them had any feet to work the gas and the brakes with!
About Uncle Frank
Uncle Frank has lived many lives and has many stories to share. He currently resides in Winston Salem, NC where he spends his days as the Frank Myers Auto Maxx Mascot.
Be sure to read History of Uncle Frank/Part 5 – The Astronaut and check back for future editions later.
* Uncle Frank Sez: “All content in The History Of Uncle Frank is a mixture of parody, poor satire, and/or (very) lame humor. It is for entertainment purposes only.”
June 19th, 2017 — Awards
When searching for your next new-to-you car, why settle for anything less than the best? At our Winston-Salem used car dealership, you don’t have to: we were voted Best Used Car Dealership in the Triad from Yes! Weekly Magazine! This isn’t surprising to the thousands of shoppers we’ve assisted over the decades who are welcomed like family regardless of their circumstances.
The Keys for a Successful Shopper
So what’s our secret? One of them is accessibility. We’re very aware that a car is an absolute necessity in our neck of the woods. That’s why we offer a selection of programs designed to help everyone get behind the wheel. From our Everybody Rides program to our Money Back Guarantee, we make shopping with us a smart decision that every savvy shopper can make.
Winston-Salem shoppers can expect friendly expert advice from our used car dealer, rather than pushy sales tactics. Our focus is entirely on getting you the best car for you, which is why Yes! Weekly has named us the Best Used Car Dealer in the Triad. Approachable, friendly and understanding service couples with an extensive inventory to offer a next-level shopping experience that bests the many used car dealerships in the area.
Work Hard, Shop Hard
Finally, when’s the last time you associated car shopping with fun? That’s one of our missions at Frank Myers Auto Maxx. Our brightly colored facilities, waiting area with plenty of amenities, and showroom music keep our location a pleasant place to be. Gone are the days of dragging your feet and wiling away a day at a dealership. Shopping with us is a breeze. It’s been our legacy for decades, and we hope to continue the same welcoming atmosphere for decades more.
An award-winning shopping experience awaits you when you visit Frank Myers Auto Maxx. We look forward to assisting you when it’s time to purchase your next new-to-you car, truck, van, or SUV.
May 17th, 2017 — Used Cars
With college graduations come first career jobs, and with first career jobs comes enough money to upgrade your car. As much as you love the beater that got you through college, maybe it’s time to get something safe and stylish, all on a great budget. Our Winston-Salem used car dealership has some great picks for the fresh-faced aspiring entrepreneur!
Honda models have proven to be resilient, as evidenced by how many of them are still on the road today! One such vehicle is the personable and efficient Honda Fit. Don’t be fooled by its minuscule appearance: this compact hatchback has plenty of rear legroom and cargo room. Whether you’re headed for a night out or a week away with your friends, the Fit can accommodate you.
Powerful, spacious, and efficient, a used Ford Fusion is an excellent choice for the college graduate on the move. Make a long commute a total blast at the helm of a commodious cabin with plush seats. The Fusion’s handling is famously phenomenal, and we’re confident that you’ll turn heads with its exterior design inspired by Aston Martin. A test drive will surpass the expectations set down for any first-time used car buyer in Winston-Salem!
Celebrate smooth styling and incontrovertible refinement in a used Volkswagen Jetta. It’s a great pick for a grad who wants to treat themselves to a higher-end ride without breaking the bank! Complete with Volkswagen’s distinctive style, the Jetta is the perfect compliment to your new commute.
It’s time to move on to the next step in life. Do so with a well-designed companion you can rely on for years to come. To check out these and other models, visit us for a test drive! Whatever your needs, we’ll be happy to meet them.
April 10th, 2017 — Used Cars
You love your dog and wouldn’t even think of going on a trip somewhere where your loyal friend couldn’t be by your side. Of course when you’re looking for a new-to-you car, the same logic applies! Find a vehicle that’s equipped to bring your best friend along for the ride at our used car dealer in Winston-Salem. Here are a few things to look out for, and some suggestions about what fits the bill!
Space Is At a Premium
Ample cargo space is crucial when you’re bringing your pet along for the ride. Whether you’re carting around your dog’s stuff for a long haul or simply going on a trip to the dog park, generous rear room with plenty of air, be it through a window that opens or a climate controlled cargo area. The optimal setup is a space with flat sides (no spare tire kept in it) and a method of securing your dog’s harness or carrier.
Station wagons, such as the hardy Subaru Outback, or lower SUV crossovers such as the Ford Edge are great choices for pet owners, because in addition to having plenty of space, they’re low to the ground and easier for Fido to jump in. However, we understand if you need a pickup truck to handle everyday tasks. The Chevy Silverado is a great pick for a pet-friendly pickup, as it is equipped with easy-to-clean seating and all-weather floor mats. Once you’ve picked out the vehicle that passes your high standards and your canine’s comfort test, don’t despair on how to pay for it. Simply apply for an auto loan right here in Winston-Salem and we’ll be happy to work out a plan that accommodates your needs.
Don’t Slouch on Safety
Cutting corners when it comes to safety is never a good idea, but if you can’t stand the thought of something happening to your pup, read up on the safety features of your favorite vehicles. Crash test ratings and a review of a vehicle’s tie-downs, latches, and other securement methods will prove useful when determining whether or not it’s suitable for your canine companion.
It’s true that we believe that everybody has the right to ride. If that includes your pet, so be it! Contact Frank Myers Auto Maxx today and talk to us about what we can offer you and your best friend.